Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 25 August 2023

Carp fishing - the current state of play

When, in the early 1990's, I told Eddie Turner that I was no longer prepared to use live baits for Pike fishing he did nothing more than offer the advice to "ensure your (dead) baits have an edge". What he meant was that, if I was to remain successful, I would have to do things differently from the other "chuck & chance" dead bait anglers. The advice was good and I've certainly continued to capture more than my fair share of decent Pike since taking that decision. So what has that got to do with Carp fishing? Well, when Carl & Alex were still on Youtube as a double act, there was an offering in which their Dad had said something along the lines of "If you do the same as everyone else why expect your results to be any different?" To top it off, their Dad isn't an angler, so it's a very astute observation by an outsider looking in. Two totally different situations, yet the same conclusions, and something I am constantly aware of. I had a 48 hrs session booked on Sandwich Coarse Fishery, Victory Lake and  therefore, used my "sun-downer" sessions to gain a feel for the venue. 

A pretty Mirror Carp of 15 lbs 12 oz

It's a very popular commercial, day-ticket, fishery frequented by anglers of varying experience and ability. Nothing I have witnessed surprises me, any more, due to the ridiculous amount of Youtube content being churned out by "celebrity" Carp anglers and their sponsors. Victory Lake is probably two acres; three at a push? There are folk chucking 4 oz leads with 3 1/2 lbs t/c rods and "Big Pit" reels - really? Bivvies the size of a Billy Smart's Circus bigtop and kilos of boilies which are introduced via catapult or spomb/spod at regular intervals (we're talking every hour!) Absolutely no point in me moaning, I pay the money and make my choices accordingly. 

A long, lean and very hard fighting Common Carp which tipped the scales at 17 lbs exactly!

Knowing that this is what these Carp are faced with, every day during the peak holiday season, it isn't too difficult to come up with an approach which differs significantly from the norm. My results have demonstrated, very clearly, that particles are worthy of further experiment.Thus far into 2023 I've landed a "double" in every month, with the actual total standing at thirty-six doubles & three twenties. My revised target of five "twenties" and fifty "doubles" doesn't seem so far out of reach now. By the end of August I will have a much clearer picture of the situation and also be able to gauge my chances of a successful conclusion, in the knowledge that a new Pike season is rapidly approaching. That said, my Pike fishing doesn't really kick in before the first frosts and, the way climate change is impacting the local seasons, might not be until after Christmas? So Carp fishing will remain at the forefront, of my endeavours, until such time as I, or the weather, decide otherwise.

My third twenty of the campaign. 22 lbs 6 oz of Mirror held by a bloke who
should know better. Look at the state of me, sleep deprivation and old age playing a key role.

Well, as the saying goes, "There's no fool, like an old fool" and sitting here at the laptop those words are resonating around in my head. Man I ache! Two nights under the Groundhog shelter have certainly taken a toll on my arthritic body. I hadn't done an extended session since Loch Awe in May 2019 and now know why. If I'm honest, forty-eight hours was too long for me. A simple overnighter would certainly be far more suited to my angling situation these days. Again, it's a lesson that I will use as I move forward and hopefully one that ensures I put maximum effort into the time spent at the waterside.


The angling I've experienced, thus far into the project, has been superbly enjoyable. I realise that my results are nowhere close to those of other, far more serious, Carp anglers. All I will say, in my defence, is that my evolution as a catcher of Carp is certainly headed in a positive direction. I did have to use a new photography technique which enabled me to use the autofocus facility on the EOS for my night shots. I will put together a seperate post explaining what I did to achieve this at a later date.

3 comments:

  1. Dyl, check out affects of coffee on magnesium levels. Chances are that you are suffering from a massive magnesium deficiency. Very common but unknown to most the source of aches and pains. I speak from personal experience. Me? Running, cycling, physical job? Nothing at all. Take care and great results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ric, there's no more chance of me giving up coffee than San Miguel! Now I'm home and have had a couple of days to recover I seem to be back to as normal as is possible for me? I very much appreciate your advice and will see if there are any sources of magnesium on the shelves within our local Asda pharmacy. The staff there are very helpful and will, surely, be able to offer some practical advice.
      All the best - Dyl

      Delete
    2. Give up coffee? Me neither Dyl. Sod that! I drink tea and coffee all the time. Just pile in the magnesium (citrate) supplements and wait.

      Delete