Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 2 August 2023

Some good'uns and that pesky bat

 It'll probably be easiest to start with my, ongoing, attempts to photograph the bat(s) that I see around the garden hedgerow at dusk. Having spent quite a while looking at various youtube offerings, it is blatantly clear that obtaining quality images of bats in flight isn't something that will happen by accident. I've picked up on a couple of tips which might assist my efforts moving forward but, can't see the day dawning when the desire to invest in infra red motion sensors and multiple flash set-ups, with all the associated hardware of tri-pods and independant flash mounts ever materialises. However, all the time there is a chance of improving upon my original effort, I am perfectly happy to keep pushing the boundaries of my own limited ability, and equipment, to produce something better than that first attempt I posted in the previous blog offering. The worst that can happen is that I fail, how bad is that? At least I will have tried.

And so on to the garden moths. The weather is all over the place, at present, with brisk winds and associated rainfall being the norm. No two ways about it, East Kent needs all the rain we can get so absolutely no point moaning. With overnight temperatures rarely falling below 14 C there is always going to be some moth activity around the MV light. On Saturday morning, the first Tree-lichen Beauty of the year was on the outside of the perspex dome, as I turned off the light, but got away before I could pot it up. Shame, because it was absolutely pristine! The July Hawk-moth totals were incredible?

Eyed Hawk-moth - 7

Elephant Hawk-moth - 123

Lime Hawk-moth - 2

Privet Hawk-moth - 21

Poplar Hawk-moth - 1

Humming-bird Hawk-moth - 8 (all seen feeding on the Red Valerian out the front of the bungalow)

This past couple of nights has produced quality, if not quantity, in terms of moths to be discovered on the egg tray. Monday morning revealed the presence of the first Radford's Flame Shoulder, of the year, and this morning produced a couple more star discoveries.

Radford's Flame Shoulder

A Bordered Straw was also the first of 2023, yet hardly an id challenge. The real show stopper was another member of the Knot-horn clan. Thankfully, my id efforts having been confirmed by Ian Roberts, this striking individual posed nicely for the camera thus allowing me to peruse the internet for a positive outcome. 

Bordered Straw

New Poplar Knot-horn (Sciota rhenella)

The fact that there are still new species turning up in our garden some twenty odd years after having started moth trapping, demonstrates (as if anyone needs telling) the impact of climate change on our natural world. My final image is of another Knot-horn species, one that is very common yet has remained overlooked by me purely because micros didn't matter. When seen up close, they are striking insects and certainly worthy of a second look, however common?

Twin-barred Knot-horn

No comments:

Post a Comment