Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 15 August 2023

Bath time

With my first coffee, of the morning, in hand I wandered into my study and opened the back door just in time to watch a Sparrowhawk land on the bird bath at the bottom of the garden. Coffee quickly placed on the desk, I grabbed my camera and pointed it at this most welcome visitor. The sun was shining brightly, illuminating the whole area very nicely. It was probably five minutes before it decided to head off along the gardens in search of breakfast.


The moth trap was very busy and I've got a couple of noctuids which are causing me a few id issues. I'm sure that I'll get there eventually? The highlight of the, egg tray, examination was the discovery of another new species of Knot-horn. 

Gorse Knot-horn - Pempelia genistella

Gorse is not a common species anywhere locally, the closest location I am aware of is Weatherlees, down near Pegwell Bay NNR and the Sandwich Bay golf courses across the River Stour. So this moth turning up in the garden does pose the question of migrant potential I guess? Whatever the reality of the situation, it is certainly a smart insect when seen up close.

No comments:

Post a Comment