Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 30 August 2023

Nicotiana action

For the past couple of evenings I've been outside, camera in hand, attempting to record flight images of the numerous Convolvulus Hawk-moths which come to feed on the Nicotiana flowers. Plenty of room for improvement, but I do seem to be headed in the right direction?

It is impossible to provide an accurate count of the number of individuals involved, although I have now had six potted up in the fridge since the first sighting. It is not unusual to have three feeding simultaneously on the two patio planters and, I assume, the same level of activity will also be happening out at the front of the bungalow where there's even more plants available. 


I've been playing around with various camera settings, yet feel that increased shutter speed has to be the next piece of the puzzle which needs addressing.

4 comments:

  1. Stunning photos of a beautiful creature, mate! Absolutely lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gazza, they certainly are impressive insects when seen up close and personal. - Dyl

      Delete
  2. Haven't grown tobacco plants for a while. Lovely smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB, that heavy scent around dusk is so much nicer than the wafting stench of "Moroccan Woodbine's" which is so prominent around the East Kent Carp fishing venues. However, it must be said that if Nicotiana wasn't such a moth magnet, the most exotic smell in our garden would be that of freshly cut grass! All the best - Dylan

      Delete