Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 3 August 2023

A Leafhopper and stuff

 As if the recent occurrences of a couple of Mirid Bug sp. in the Robinson MV Moth trap, wasn't crazy enough. Last night's catch was a bit sparse on the moth front, yet managed to turn up one of the most spectacular insects I've ever set eyes upon. I am indebted to Brian Harper for pointing me in the direction of Britishbugs.org.uk which is a superb website where complete dumb-arses (like me!) can research the id of various inverts which cross our paths. 

A Leafhopper - Acericerus heydenii
At no point, before the pandemic; did I ever think that I'd be fascinated by such creatures.

I was happy enough to have managed to place this individual into a family group, and certainly didn't expect to nail a specific id. That this, and umpteen other, website exists is one of the real positives about social media which allows us the freedom to explore the unknown. 

I deliberately stalled publishing this offering, purely because it was getting close to Bat 'O'clock. Conditions are quite calm and, having sorted out the moth trap, I knew that there would be an opportunity to point the camera in a batward direction. Closer, but no cigar, might be the best way of summarising the experience. As there is absolutely no cost involved in trying, beyond that of actually getting off my arse and stepping into the garden, I remain hopeful that the more I practice the better my images will become?


No comments:

Post a Comment