Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 5 August 2023

Light Crimson Underwing

 For me, running the garden moth trap is just an enjoyable way of keeping tabs on what is going on during the hours of darkness. Although no longer a serious attempt at maintaining data sheets and associated lists, I have to admit that it is, very much, a fun part of my daily routine. Inspecting the moths, and other insects, attracted by the MV light always has the added excitement of "what's on the next egg tray?" about it. This morning was to provide just that "WTF" moment when, on the underside of the second to last tray I spotted a Light Crimson Underwing. Absolute rocking horse shit in East Kent, I've never seen one in the UK, although have caught several way back in the 1990's when on holiday in Brittany, just outside the town of Pontivy.


This moth was a bit tatty but does pose the question "Where did it come from?"

With this moth now on the garden list, I really do wonder how much longer I'll have to wait for a Striped Hawk-moth? Tree-lichen Beauties are now turning up nightly, with three yesterday and two today. Other nice bits have included Iron, Pale & Swallow Prominents, an Oak Eggar plus a very welcome Garden Tiger,

Pale Prominent

Oak Eggar

Garden Tiger

Micros continue to provide interest and learning opportunities on a daily basis. The sheer diversity of size and shape is mind numbing, but now, more than ever before, most welcome. I'll never be an expert, just happy to casually observe and hope that the pieces fall into place whilst I do so.

Tree-lichen Beauty

Long-horned Flat-body - straight off the cover of my
Micro Moths Field Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment