Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 28 August 2022

Pegwell again

So birding it is whilst the river fishing prospects remain, drought affected, and my enthusiasm is completely absent. Two more trips down to Pegwell Bay NNR have resulted in three additions to my self-found year list tally. Little Ringed Plover, Grey Plover and Little Tern taking my total to a very modest 158, although perfectly understandable given the complete lack of effort I've put into this project, thus far, in 2022.

Green Sandpiper - one of three yesterday

Moulting adult Greenshank

Yesterday I only took my bins and camera kit, today I added the scope to the luggage to lug around, but it proved to be a very good decision as I watched the incoming tide in the company of a certain Francis Solly - Thanet's finest? So much to enjoy, as I wandered the coastal path and various trails which criss-cross this superb reserve. The garden has also provided some very nice encounters which have included the third Pied Flycatcher of the autumn and some decent Common Buzzard movements when the conditions have been suitable.


The Common Seals, which haul out on the banks of The Stour estuary provide a fabulous spectacle, when viewed from the Stonelees watch point, yet must be off the scale when aboard one of the many boats which ply their "nature watching" trade from Ramsgate Harbour and Sandwich Quay. As intrusive as these craft appear, the seals don't seem remotely bothered by the situation. 

The heat haze prevented a sharper image - Common Seals hauled out beside The Stour.
Ramsgate Port providing the skyline features.

The garden mothing continues to provide much entertainment. Now up to six Convolvulus Hawks (plus another which fell foul of the garden Hedgehogs), so far, but plenty of other species to add evidence of large scale migration taking place due to the current weather conditions. 

Vestal

Scarce Bordered Straws

Marbled Yellow Pearl

One really strange capture is that of a Poplar Hawk-moth, only my third of the year and the first since early June. Second generation? I have absolutely no idea! Whilst chatting with Francis, this morning, I casually made mention of the numbers of Box-tree Moths I'm currently recording. Three figure counts, for the past couple of nights, he predicted that this would pale into insignificance next month. That'll be nice.

Until there is significant rainfall, my efforts to improve upon the "self-found" tally will take president in my outdoor activities. A bit of sea-watching could provide massive opportunity to add some very common species which have avoided my gaze, thus far, in 2022. 

3 comments:

  1. Just back from a week in Kent, stayed in Chislet. Mostly beach hopping with the kids but liked the area. Saw some nice roach being caught at Grove Ferry and plenty of dace in Canterbury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camping at Nethergong? Hope the family enjoyed themselves in the "Garden of England". Certainly couldn't have picked a better week for beach hopping and getting a tan - Dylan

      Delete
    2. Just up the hill from Nethergong on Chitty Lane. We saw and heard a lot of magpies. And of course gulls. Lots of gulls.

      Delete