Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 3 November 2021

Just looking

We're three days into November and I've already had two sessions in pursuit of Esox lucius, but have added absolutely nothing to my campaign tally. The RMC session, on Monday, was a very sorry affair. I'd decided to visit the Seabrook area, just east of the Hythe Imperial Hotel GC. What a waste of effort? The canal is a sad shadow of its' previous best. I haven't Pike fished here since 2014, but couldn't have believed the complete lack of (fishery) management which I was to be confronted with. A decent morning watching the avian activity (a late Swallow being the highlight) was very helpful, as it softened the disappointment, but I certainly won't be in a hurry to return to this section. A very short session at the syndicate, yesterday, was equally uneventful. 

Always worth a look wherever I see them. This one was beside the RMC

I spent this morning out in the garden prior to getting a few jobs done around the bungalow (successfully I'm happy to say) Vis mig was interesting, although hectic isn't a word that could be used today. I was outside from 07.40  - 10.50 hrs and recorded the following:-

Starling - 1450 all west

Redwing - 130 west

Chaffinch - 100+ in dribs and drabs

Siskin - my first garden record this Autumn

Other bits included a 1st winter Lesser Black-back, an adult Common Gull and a trickle of Black-headed Gulls. All very strange?  So, once again, it is the nocturnal activity around the hedgehog feeding station which has provided the bulk of my wildlife fixes. We've only experienced one, very light, frosty morning thus far here on Thanet and the local hedgehogs are still very active. I'm seeing up to four individuals, at one time, coming to the garden to partake in their nightly banquet. Nothing in the short to medium range forecasts suggests that this activity will cease? 


They will keep me entertained for a good while yet, I'm sure.

2 comments:

  1. Good with the hedgehogs, Dyl. I read that by feeding them like this they won't need to risk hibernation as much as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly behave like that around Thanet. The only time we didn't record them was during the cold snap, after Storm Darcy, they having been coming to the feeding station right through Christmas and the New Year! Thanet doesn't experience the prolonged spells of cold weather that more inland counties do, hence the encounters during typical hibernation time I guess? All the best - Dyl

      Delete