Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 4 November 2021

Highly enjoyable session

My third Pike session of November saw me back down on the RMC, continuing to explore the section where I'd landed the brace of "eighteen pounders" last week. I was on my way just after 04.30 hrs and had all three rods fishing by 06.30 hrs. At 07.00 hrs I dropped a fish, failing to get a tight line, thus concluding it was a small Pike. Still, I wasn't best pleased as it was the first bite of November. I'd leapfrogged all three rods by 07.40 hrs and at 08.00 hrs the alarm on my left hand set up signalled a take. This time around there was no issue with the hook up. I had chosen to use two centrepin set-ups and this fish was now firmly attached to my line, thus, via the sumptuous action of a Duncan Kay carp rod and a Matt Hayes "limited edition No. 54" centrepin I was at enjoyment central. A powerful fish and very dogged fight was experienced, although there were no real issues to deal with as the Pike powered up and down the central channel. I could see it was a good fish, when it swirled on the canal surface. As I drew it over the net chord I knew I'd got something special! The same old fannying about, as I needed to get the weigh sling and retainer well soaked before I lifted the fish from the water. Once on the unhooking mat I was sure I'd got it. The scale revealing my prize to weigh in at 20 lbs 13 oz - jobs a good'n. I rested the fish in my retaining sling, hoping that one of the regular dog walkers would appear. They did and I'm eternally grateful for their assistance in getting my trophy shots.


20 lbs 13 oz of centrepin fun

I'd moved the rods twice more, knowing that I had to be away by 11.00 hrs. It was at 09.55 hrs when my right hand alarm signalled bite number three! Another centrepin battle ensued, but this time I was attached to a fish which wouldn't have been out of place on a Scottish Loch. It went mental and I was a quivering wreck by the time I managed to get it into the landing net. 16 lbs 12 oz of RMC fun. Selfies this time round and it was time for the slow pack down. Back at the van for 11.00 hrs, I drove home feeling like I'd achieved something special. If I hadn't experienced the two previous blanks, I'm sure that my campaign wouldn't be so much of a challenge? Just as in real life, you need to experience the lows to appreciate the highs!


They'll do for selfies - really glad that the "twenty" got better images.

No plans for any further sessions this week, I'll be keeping an eye on the weather in the hope of getting back down there early next week. I've still got about three quarters of a mile to explore before I can say I've given it a fair shot. If things continue as they are, I might have to revise my targets?

10 comments:

  1. Nicely done mate got of the mark this week with a 6.12 and a small jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, a really nice surprise so early in the season. Are you still targeting the Stour and the C&DAC waters? Stick with it, your time will come - Dylan

      Delete
  2. Great stuff, can’t beat an early season twenty - and on the pin, what a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Brian, using a centrepin certainly takes any angling experience to another level. Good luck with your own Pike hunt on that lovely little river - tight lines - Dylan

      Delete
  3. Absolutely flying, they are all going to be really big fish if they fill out later in the season.

    Flatlands 15 lb 4oz on lures last week, different river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jonathan, I'm having a ball. That Pike from the flatlands is a very special fish - congratulations. I will get back out there, but the RMC seems to be the place at present? Take care & tight lines - Dylan

      Delete
  4. Great result Dyl. You certainly deserve the spoils of victory considering the way you apply yourself to the task.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Cheers BB - I certainly enjoyed it - Tight lines - Dylan

      Delete