Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 1 September 2020

Worrying times

 At some time around mid-day, on Sunday, Bev's mum suffered a stroke which, although seemingly catastrophic, was dealt with superbly by the carers, then ambulance crew, who were on the scene within minutes of the alarm being raised. "Blue lighted" straight across to the Kent & Canterbury Hospital, we've been left behind to ponder on the situation; Bev not allowed into the hospital due to Covid restrictions. An absolute panic for us, just another day in the life of a busy hospital for the medical team involved. Information has been painfully slow in coming our way, but the latest news is that Denise has an infection, being treated by antibiotics and is over the worse of this ordeal. A timid, frail, 87 year old, who has no comprehension of the situation, due to dementia, will be frightened stiff in these strange surroundings, yet Bev can't do anything about it. This is the reality of the pandemic and something which many other ordinary families will have had to deal with during this period. Still doesn't make it any easier to cope with?

Dusk at my syndicate fishery

My inability to catch fish has been a stunning display of consistency over the passed couple of weeks. Doesn't matter if I'm on the syndicate or down the Royal Military, the alarms remain silent, my baits untouched. I'm fortunate that the bat detector is able to provide some wonderful distraction from the obviously straight fishing rods and owls have also ensured interest during my sessions. Because of the incredibly random nature of my being able to get out, eels have been the target species due to having all the kit ready assembled in my study. All I require is to grab some bait from my freezer, load the van, and I'm on my way. However, as of today, I'm going to have a couple of months carp fishing, whenever possible, before embarking on the serious search for another "wild" twenty pound pike.

I know it's a photo, but it could just as easily be a movie of my recent angling endeavours!

I would be an absolute imbecile to claim anything than total joy from my encounters with the garden hedgehogs. I do, however, recognise how quickly my blogging becomes very samey when I stick to the one subject. So, although I remain fascinated by these wonderful animals coming into my garden, I will hang fire on future posts unless something out of the ordinary is witnessed. 

Just a small section of the garden hedge - around forty individuals viewable

With so many of my neighbours also feeding the birds and the fact that the stubble still remains untouched around Newlands Farm, House Sparrow numbers continue to expand and are now present in huge flocks the size of which remind me of my childhood exploring the Hertfordshire countryside. It is now regular to have in excess of two hundred birds in the garden hedge, flitting between the various feeders on offer in the adjacent gardens. No wonder the local Sparrowhawks are such regular visitors? It must be like a fly through McDonald's for them.


Not from the back garden, not even from the UK! A Hedgehog (sp.) 
photographed in Northern Greece during a holiday in 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment