Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 19 September 2020

A divergence or distraction?

 The pandemic is really starting to cause me to re-evaluate any plans I had for my angling in 2020. Because of the situation with Bev's mum, and her deteriorating health. my free time doesn't allow me to disappear off with the rods, whenever I like. Mixing with other households is a no no, shopping is a massive challenge as we attempt to avoid mixing with crowds, and workplace social distancing is well observed by the guys in my department, ensuring the chance of infection is kept to an absolute minimum. Obviously I am far better off than many other folk. Living on the fringes of Ramsgate, a garden with views across farmland and our geographic location providing an opportunity to witness visible migration, particularly raptors, on a seasonal basis. Not wanting to wish my life away, I have to admit that the pike season can't come soon enough. With this in mind I'm grateful to some of the guys at work who have been kind enough to provide me with wine/champagne corks which I use to create sliding floats.


So with my angling being so restricted I have used the garden hedgehogs to keep me entertained and focused. Such is the enjoyment of seeing these wild animals up close in our garden that I've started a new blog to avoid "Of Esox" becoming side tracked. Hedgehogs in a Thanet garden is simply a way of using time and promoting the enjoyment of garden wildlife without derailing my main blog. If Boris is forced into a second national "lockdown" then BWKm0 and the hedgehogs will be the only things to keep me sane? Please feel free to take a look and leave a comment if you wish. Mad times and my own sanity is being tested to the limit!

2 comments:

  1. Your pike sliders look great. Making your own floats is a wonderful diversion at the moment and it has become a small obsession of mine during the last few months. I've been gathering norfolk reed and goose quills (from the obliging geese at Leeds Castle) and already have more floats than I'll use! Not got as far as making anything bodied, but I aim to do a few avon floats and bobbers from cork or balsa eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is much to be said in praise of DIY tackle. I have, over the years, manufactured floats of many types, monkey climbers, drop off indicators and umpteen other items which were created to fulfil a role which hadn't been catered for by the mainstream manufacturers. I was using a spod in 1981, only we called it a "doppelganger" and made it out of a shampoo bottle and expanded polystyrene!
      Yes it is a very satisfying way of using the free time during this unprecedented period. The satisfaction to be gained when a home made float does the business is way beyond that experienced by the tackle tarts and logo fashionistas! Many thanks for taking time to offer your comment - tight lines - Dylan

      Delete