Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 1 December 2015

Job's a good'n

Just back home after my latest attempt at my eel challenge - I only bloody did it! A December eel by design! It should have been two, I have many more lessons to learn before I could be considered anything like proficient? I arrived just around 16.00 hrs and my walk to my swim was in the company of a superb hunting Barn Owl. Both rods out by 16.15 hrs (it's a very tight swim) my first bite came just 45 minutes later. I made a complete "pig's ear" of the chance and lost a decent fish at the net. I have to admit that I had a little tantrum before thinking what a twat I was and getting my gear sorted out. I recast to the same spot and was away again within 10 minutes - a very pleasing eel (A Desmond!) two - two (2 lbs 2 oz) was gleefully engulfed in the landing net and my prize was secured.
My attempts at self-take flash photography were pitiful, I need to get a grip.

A woeful attempt at self-take flash photography.
A December eel of 2 lbs 2 oz

I continued fishing, recasting at regular intervals as part of a pre-determined plan, experiencing a few strange occurences, but no more fish until 19.30 hrs. A lovely slow take on a 2" Bluey tail section resulted in my third double figure pike of the season. A cracking little fish of 10 lbs 4 oz - again my photographic attempts were well short of the mark.

A bit of a surprise!
Strange thing is that I've taken loads of pike in the dark, particularly during my time Zander fishing on
the Cambridgeshire Fens, yet I can't recall one during my time in Kent.
Funny thing about all this is I don't care. I have achieved yet another target, using basic angling experience, yet backed up by some of my number crunching exploits - landing that eel was a sweet moment indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment