|Adult Fulmar photographed from the cliff-top path between Winterstoke Steps|
and The Granville Cinema
My kit is sorted, rigs prepared, bait defrosting. I am travelling light, with minimal clutter, and if the weather proves to be a major problem, I'll pack up early - no great shakes; there's always another day.
Whatever the outcome - I will post again when I get home.
I'm back and I've caught an eel, so a success! I got on site before 14.30 hrs and was fishing within 15 minutes. Straight away I experienced a series of short pulls, none of which developed into anything more. Then I got bitten off by a pike - didn't feel any resistance at all, my mono cut as clean if I'd used a Stanley blade. I missed a couple of absolute screamers before nailing a small eel, on a bluey section. There is so much more I have to learn about these fish and the finer details of rigs and bait presentation.
I have a real problem with the Albright Knot; I love the concept of the combi-rig, but have lost all faith in this particular knot. I've bench tested it, in my study, and had it break over 14 lbs - then used the same rig, same materials, and had the knot unravel once it had been in the water for a few minutes. It hasn't yet cost me a fish, but I can't risk that outcome now I am aware of this issue. I am going to experiment with a similar hook link tied using the four-turn water knot. I'll have a play around tomorrow with the hope of getting out again on New Year's Day. I have a number of ideas to try out as this project moves forward. January and February were always going to be the problem months; what I experienced this evening has really aided my thought processes as I look to the future.
Dyl, Even though I tend to use a type of blood knot, I find a dab of good old 'super glue' insures against any problems.ReplyDelete
Happy new year as well, hope all is well with you and family.
Best wishes, Ric.
Rich, now I've lost faith in this particular knot all the super glue in the world won't change my mind. My initial experiments with the four-turn water knot appear quite encouraging and there is no noticeable reduction in breaking strain of the two materials. I've got a rig soaking to see if the water acts as a lubricant and allows the braid to slip on the mono - which I suspect to be my issue with the Albright knot. Enjoy your New Year celebrations down under - all the best DylDelete
Braid tied to mono, crikey! That's a challenge. I'd probably make loop in the mono and half blood the braid to it. I'd still go for the glue. Once that stuff gets involved, I find even sloppy loose knots become welded into an immovable mass.ReplyDelete
One of the mysteries of angling is how putting a bend into a rod; which technically speaking may only exert a pound or two of force at the end rig end, can still result in a breakage while using a stronger line. A 2lb test curve rod shouldn't be able to break 3lb test line.
Richie - you're obviously a long way off the pace. Kent is carp city central - the combi rig just another demonstration of angling advancement. Tying a braided hook-link to a mono line is purely to assist the anti-tangle properties of the presentation, a real problem that I've had to overcome in the past twelve months. The use of a four-turn water knot, as used on Wilstone in 1982, seems to deliver all the answers. Braid and mono - without slipping. Happy New Year - DylDelete