Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 17 March 2014

Does any of this stuff really matter?

Inside the pages of Atropos "issue No.1" , are the wonderfully descriptive thoughts of David Brown,
as he recalls the events of autumn 1995 - in Cornwall .
This moth, a pyralid, is something to which pays great homage.
Hymenia recurvalis -  I've seen thousands!
I draw my inspiration from many different, and amazingly varied, aspects. There are individual personalities whom I admire, local and national groups who are also powerfully influential, then there are my own interests and the particular slant that they are able to put on my opinions.

One for Seth? - A shield bug from our 2004 Corfu holiday
Important? Now there's a concept which will have a million different answers from a million different individuals - so there is no way my own views are of any more value than any other. I have been looking at the natural world for as long as I can remember. Not the seriously; can't be distracted, obsessive manner that has manifested itself, during a couple of periods, during my life - just the simple enjoyment that is derived from being outdoors. I'd be nothing more than a fool if I denied that those periods of obsessive desire weren't great fun; they were, and times that I am now able to look back on with great fondness. That I now have no aspirations to return to those adrenaline fuelled adventures speaks volumes of the passing of time, and the perspective that experience gives to life's journey. These days, being an old fart, means that I can get away with being a cantankerous git, yet still remain able to offer an opinion that has some credibility (John Hollyer; my great friend and mentor - I'm forever in your debt!)

Shield bug - Turkey 2012
I've had my run ins with many and various. My views on the "Ramsgate Warbler" just the tip of the iceberg - the bird is very interesting but, as a Hume's, I'm still not convinced? (and yes I've spent plenty of time in Ramsgate Cemetery watching it! - it's less than 1/4 mile from our bungalow) What about the Chinese Pond Heron? No better, or worse, than the Margate Cemetery Dusky Thrush - who gives a fuck? Both species being relatively common in captivity, thus escape being far more feasible, than their out of season vagrancy would be statistically likely? How desperate are this generation of disciples? How much does the list rule their heads? Important?  - no, not in the slightest. You pay your money and take your choice! Suing a guy who "hoaxed" a Sussex Savannah Sparrow - there's a medal in it from where I'm now sitting. All of what I've written is purely a personal view and in no way meant to offend. Still; I am well aware that there are individuals out there, in cyberspace, who could find a fight in a crisp packet - please save your venom for something more worthwhile.

Rhinocoris iracundus- Turkey

My recent adventures into the world of "macro" photography are simply an extension to my discovery of the wider world. Cameras have always played a significant part in my world - we needed a photograph of our captures in those early days (working for Kodak was obviously an advantage) - fast forward to early days of digital image capture. Digi-scoping was the entry level - I was there; a 2 mega pixel Nikon CP 775 and my Kowa TSN 823 scope. Technology has developed far more rapidly than my ability - I am now in a very comfortable zone. I have the Canon EOS 400d, a Sigma 170 - 500mm lens, a Canon 18 - 55mm lens, a Sigma 1.4x converter and a set of extension tubes (14mm & 28mm) for macro use. I ain't gonna re-invent the wheel, although every generation feels the need to do just that. I am simply going to enjoy that extra dimension that this digital age allows. I have accompanied this drivel with a selection of images that have captured during the past eleven years - Bev and I were on our honeymoon when I recorded the first!
Does any of this really matter? Not in the slightest!

Lygaeus saxatilis - a Ground Bug (Turkey 2012)




1 comment:

  1. Carpocoris mediterraneus. That'll be one extra pale ale, please :)

    ReplyDelete