Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 5 October 2013

It's a sharing thing!

Back to Newland's this morning, the Great Grey Shrike still present at 07.30hrs when I took a detoured walk to the local shop for some bread and milk (not that you needed to know that?)
I returned, a couple of hours later, with Emily, she needed it for her list - well she is two and has already "twitched" a Great Northern Diver in Ramsgate Harbour. We bumped into Phil (The Broadstair's Birder) and Adam, as they arrived. Luckily we were able to show them the bird, perched, distantly, on some power-lines. It was a nice moment, the bird being a tick for Adam who'd missed them at every other attempt over the past five winters.
Typical of the views today. Perched on power lines that cross the stubble field between
the "White House" and Prestedge Avenue. Not that Adam was complaining.
Emily needed to get home for her nap - she was falling asleep on my shoulder, probably the excitement of a new bird? So I quickly exchanged pleasantries before getting my charge back home; all of 200m away! I was able to get back, complete with my scope, within fifteen minutes and was surprised to see Phil and Adam with their optics pointed directly at me - focused on the floor? A quick scan through the bins was to quickly solve the conundrum; an adult Peregrine was decked in the stubble busily eating something. My thoughts immediately being that the falcon had nailed the shrike and they had witnessed the whole affair.
 
A decked Peregrine - not an everyday occurrence at Newland's
Luckily, this was not the case, and after we'd enjoyed prolonged views of the Peregrine we relocated the shrike. It looked fantastic through the 30x eyepiece of the Kowa TSN 823. A Grey Wagtail and Curlew were recorded whilst I was in their company; it's surprising what else is found when birders visit a new site. Several other birders came along to enjoy this bird; always elusive it was, however, seen by all those I met with. Birdguides have reported it present at 13.50hrs - so there are other birders spending time enjoying the best "Newland's Farm" bird since the Little Bunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment