Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 12 October 2013

A major fall at Newland's Farm

The overnight rain was continuous and, having Emily and Harry in our care, it was inevitable that I'd be up at first light. The sight that greeted me, as I made the early morning tea, was unbelievable! Thrushes, in huge clouds, dropping down onto the stubble behind our garden. In between my grand-parenting duties I managed to enjoy one of the best days' birding I've had anywhere in the world!!
My totals are very approximate, as there were periods when I wasn't able to spend time outside, but are as follows:-
Redwing - 17,800
Fieldfare - 10,200
Blackbird - 170
Song Thrush - 650
Ring Ouzel - 200+ (including one flock of 19)
Brambling - 7
Skylark - 41
Woodcock - 1
Chaffinch - 230
Goldfinch - 34
Sparrowhawk - 4
Golden Plover - 1
and a distant skein of 17 grey geese (probably Greylags)
Fieldfare in the early morning sunshine

I am in shock - totals like these are normally associated with the east coast bird observatories, not an inland site (Margate Cemetery excluded!) Once again my camera skills have proven to be well short of the mark - yet I am happy to share a few (of the 600+) images that I've recorded today.
 


Although they are annual, Ring Ouzels are a very scarce bird around Newland's Farm.
To have them present, in such numbers, is something very special - I feel very lucky to have witnessed this event.

2 comments:

  1. What is so special about these days Dylan, apart from their rarity, is that you cannot twitch them - they are bestowed upon you by the birding Gods. I'm incredibly envious (again).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,
    Despite the benefit of a reasonable education, my words will be forever inadequate - any attempt to describe the excitement, of the day, lost in a plethora of nonsense!
    My post is purely a reaction - in no way can I, as a simple soul, ever hope to convey the sheer excitement of such an event. It is even more incedible that I was able to enjoy it from the comfort of my kitchen doorway, Emily happily playing in the garden, thus under my supervision - it will not happen again in my life-time? Patch birding - can there be any better way of wasting time? (I suppose that barbel fishing on the Kentish Stour could be a close second!)
    Dylan

    ReplyDelete