Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Wednesday 4 September 2024

Portland Moth - nice!

 Another examination of the contents of the garden moth trap, this morning, revealed three Olive-tree Pearls, seventeen Delicates, five Rusty-dot Pearls and a Clancy's Rustic to be the only obvious candidates for moth migration. However, it was on the second to last egg tray that the star of the show was discovered. A Portland Moth was a new species for me and, as such, the garden list. A quick scan of the Kent Moths website revealed just how unusual this sighting is. Only one previous record for Thanet,  inevitably at one of Francis Solly's constant effort sites, and around ten Kent records since 2000; so a very good moth indeed?



A very pleasant way to start the day

With a bit of luck I am off down to the Carp Puddle, this afternoon, for a few hours so this post might get an up-date on my return. It will depend upon how successful my angling foray turns out to be. Either way, with a rare moth taking centre stage, today has been quite rewarding whatever else occurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment