Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 20 September 2024

Day two

 Well, weather-wise, it's certainly a better day with a dry, warm and bright morning followed by thick cloud and thunderstorms, with associated heavy rain, throughout the afternoon. Bev managed a good four hours beside the pool before we called it a day, whilst I did a repeat of yesterday's walk as I strive to get to grips with the local birdlife. As a result my tally has now reached the dizzy total of twenty species!

Despite the conditions I did manage to spot a few interesting birds. Migrating Honey Buzzards are always nice to see, and this morning I counted nine individuals passing, very high,overhead. Added to this was a group of three House Martins and some calling Bee-eaters which managed to avoid my optics. I had deliberately chosen to wear my flip-flops in order to ensure that I wouldn't be tempted to push myself too hard and end up suffering the fall-out for the rest of our stay. There is certainly an obvious increase in Spotted Flycatcher numbers today and I stumbled upon a cracking Wood Warbler, feeding in an Olive grove as I made my way back towards the Irene complex.

Butterflies are conspicuous by their absence, at present, yet I did spot a rather tatty Eastern White Admiral resting in roadside vegetation, as I neared the end of my wanderings.


No comments:

Post a Comment