Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 8 September 2024

Just some stuff

 At around 15.00 hrs, yesterday afternoon, a gang of kids thought it would be a right laugh to set the stubble field, which is directly beyond the garden hedge, ablaze. Fortunately the wind was a brisk north-easterly and the flames swept across the field, getting further away from the boundary as a result. I would guess that four, or five, acres were burned before three fire engines arrived on scene. 

Thankfully, no property or livestock were involved and Mr Nash, the farmer, got out on the field with a plough after the firemen had done their work. This morning, having turned off the moth trap, I took a drive across to Seaton GPs, for a stroll along the Little Stour. Very much a need to know reason, yet it proved to be a rather enjoyable outing. Three Spotted Flycatchers were seen and a Raven croaked somewhere out in the gloom, over towards Wingham. The highlight, for me, was discovering a lone Hornet beside the river. I haven't seen one in over a decade, so a most enjoyable encounter. It was a gloomy, dull, morning and the camera was set to 1/400 th sec exposure because of the conditions. I only had the 100 - 400 mm lens with me so had to make the best of it. 



I have tried to search the internet to discover the current status of these impressive insects within the Kent boundaries, yet all I seem to get is "tabloid style" warnings about the dire threat to bee-keepers posed by the invasive Asian Hornet. Not too much to report from the garden, of late, but there does seem to be a definite reduction in Willow Warbler numbers and a subsequent increase in Chiffchaffs being seen. 

A Chiffchaff in our neighbour's garden

Moths continue to provide daily amusement, yet nothing particularly noteworthy since the Portland Moth.

2 comments:

  1. Dyl. We had a nearby field set alight only last year and reduced to ashes. However just a few weeks later the same field had the most magnificent growth of new grass possible. Not much comfort if anyone gets hurt in the process mind.
    Hornets? Stunning insect. On one occasion, due to the numbers around, I was sure there was a nest nearby. I didn't find it. I've also seen a couple of queen Hornets, one of which dived in and grabbed a spider off it's web. Huge things. Seemed to be two inches long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids - eh? Thankfully no property or livestock were involved in this silly prank and probably just as important, it was stubble, not the un-harvested crop which was burned.
      Hornets are something I remember from my childhood, growing up in Hemel Hempstead and wandering around the stunning Ashridge Estate. I think that I only seen three, or four, since moving to Kent, so that one besides The Little Stour was quite special. Better light levels and a different lens combo would have enabled me to get far superior images but, hey-ho, I was very happy to click away and am grateful that I managed to capture something worth sharing?
      Hoping all is well with you and the gang - Dyl

      Delete