Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 29 September 2024

Day eleven - slim pickings

What a difference a day makes? I'd spoken to a Greek lady in the supermarket next to our apartment block, yesterday night, and enquired about the weather for today. She said it would be pleasant enough but rather windy. No two ways about it, she should get a job with the BBC weather team. It has been sunny all day but, boy, has there been an accompanying breeze! Down at poolside it was perfectly suited to the vibe, providing a cooling effect to the intense sunshine, but up on the high ground it was a completely different situation. Bev and I had a very leisurely start to the morning, not getting across to the pool until after 10.00 hrs. Once we'd got sorted, I then took the long hike up onto the high ground beyond Kato Garouna. The higher, above sea level, I got, the more intense the wind strength became. Up on the high ground all I could hear was the wind whistling through the overhead power lines. I didn't see more than twenty birds during the three and a half hours I was wandering around, and five of them were House Sparrows as I walked through Kato Garouna! Fortunately, I had made the decision to take the 18-55mm lens along in order to get some scenic images.

Looking north from the high ground above Kato Garouna

Fairly typical terrain away from the coastal resorts.

I also had the extension tubes in a gillette pocket, thus was able to hook up with the 100 - 400mm and grab some token shots of a few butterflies which had found shelter in the lea of various outcrops. I thought one looked a little odd as I was clicking away and turns out to be a new species for me.

Cleopatra - male

So it hasn't been a particularly good day, yet "every cloud" - as they say

Northern Wall Brown (Lasiommata petropolitana) not too much else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment