|Adult Fulmar photographed from the cliff-top path between Winterstoke Steps|
and The Granville Cinema
My kit is sorted, rigs prepared, bait defrosting. I am travelling light, with minimal clutter, and if the weather proves to be a major problem, I'll pack up early - no great shakes; there's always another day.
Whatever the outcome - I will post again when I get home.
I'm back and I've caught an eel, so a success! I got on site before 14.30 hrs and was fishing within 15 minutes. Straight away I experienced a series of short pulls, none of which developed into anything more. Then I got bitten off by a pike - didn't feel any resistance at all, my mono cut as clean if I'd used a Stanley blade. I missed a couple of absolute screamers before nailing a small eel, on a bluey section. There is so much more I have to learn about these fish and the finer details of rigs and bait presentation.
I have a real problem with the Albright Knot; I love the concept of the combi-rig, but have lost all faith in this particular knot. I've bench tested it, in my study, and had it break over 14 lbs - then used the same rig, same materials, and had the knot unravel once it had been in the water for a few minutes. It hasn't yet cost me a fish, but I can't risk that outcome now I am aware of this issue. I am going to experiment with a similar hook link tied using the four-turn water knot. I'll have a play around tomorrow with the hope of getting out again on New Year's Day. I have a number of ideas to try out as this project moves forward. January and February were always going to be the problem months; what I experienced this evening has really aided my thought processes as I look to the future.