Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 11 December 2015

Making plans

I've just got back from a quick visit to Sandwich Coarse Fishery. No; I didn't take my tackle, just went there to see Ken, the bailiff, (Kevin is away on holiday) and sort out a session for Benno and myself on Sunday. Aldred, my Dad's gardener, was also there; so I spent quite some time chatting and enjoying a cuppa in the company of these two guys. Subjects ranged from split cane rods, through old reels and centre-pins, match anglers and their lack of appreciation of the surroundings they fish in, to the woeful employment  ethics of Dragon Carp - ref: Ken's son Anthony and the shameful way he was treated as the Ramsgate store was closed down. Quite a varied conversation, whilst drinking my coffee.
Permission granted, I then went for a stroll around the complex - camera and binoculars to hand, just in case! A nice mixed flock of Siskin and Goldfinches were feeding in the alders beside the match lakes, whilst a Kingfisher was glimpsed as it sped by, whistling loudly. Walking around the Specimen Lake, a large carp "lumped out" beside one of the islands - the signs are all very positive for the weekend ahead. Perch are our targeted species, but any fish which puts a bend in the rod will do. Bait is being purchased, as I write, Bev getting the frozen prawns from Tesco, my lobworms will be extracted from the lawn when I've finish my shift tonight. The perch which inhabit the local "carp puddles" are an unknown quantity - in as much as very few anglers make any effort to deliberately seek them. Accidental captures make up the bulk of the reported fish, the average size being well in excess of two pounds, and that'll do for me!
Work is going crazy - overtime for the complete run up to Christmas! Thank-you very much, I'll have a bowl full of that - first pay day in January will be very pleasant indeed.

4 comments:

  1. Dyl, I once told a girl about all those lobworms which lay on the surface after dark. She reacted like they were something from the film 'Tremors'. Note (even those couldn't survive contact with a Chub).
    Won't be able to comment for the next month. I'm heading off to New Zealand; the land of Snapper and Eels as long as I am. My mother in law who lives there is keen on Snapper. The Eels, not so much.
    Have a great Christmas and new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rich, enjoy your holiday and the festivities. I'll keep an eye on my blogger dashboard for any increase in visitors from New Zealand! Stay happy and keep safe - all the best Dyl

      Delete
  2. Although I don't do the fishing lark, it's great to see a guy still getting so excited after so many years, about his chosen pursuit.
    I remember those lob worm nights well from when I used to do simple rod and line eel fishing. Out on the front lawns in the middle of the night and cars going by wondering what the hell I was up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Derek, collecting lobworms, after dark, is one of those activities which will always result in unexpected reactions. During my years in Hemel Hempstead - many a dark night was enlivened by the appearance of the local constabulary investigating a report of strange activity on the Gadebridge cricket pitch. The utter dis-belief was outstanding - "WHY??" as plod looked down at a bucket full of writhing worms. Great times and memories - Dyl

      Delete