Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 28 April 2023

Golden days

If I were ever asked what the most exciting type of angling is, my answer would have to be "surface fishing for Carp."  If pressed further my reply would specify simplicity. Just a single rod (split cane when possible) a centrepin reel, line, a hook and a floating bait. Close range angling where a free-lined bait can cause mayhem with the adrenaline levels. Additional kit is a pair of polaroids, just to heighten the optical experience of getting repeatedly "mugged off" by the Carp. Floater fishing is simply the best way to experience the highs and lows of angling without the requirement of spending excessive time on the bank.

For the past three afternoons, this is exactly what I've done. The longest session being little over four hours, the other two less than three hours each. Tuesday, I started off fishing two baits, on the deck, but changed over to my floater set-up after I'd only had three fish in two hours. This resulted in a further five Carp, but also the realisation that my offerings needed a complete refresh due to having been stored in the van since last autumn!

Wednesday produced another six fish, but still my hook bait choice was causing me issues. A nice 11 lbs 10 oz Mirror, however, ensured I'd reached that magical total of seventeen doubles, in 2023, which equals my previous best tally for an entire season.

Thursday and the pieces all fell into place. By changing my hook bait from dog biscuits to wholemeal bread, I absolutely smashed it. Taking over twenty-five fish in little more than two and a half hours including another two doubles! Happy days!! Well it was always going to be a good session because of what happened even before it got going. I hadn't even set up the rod as I started to introduce my freebies into the swim. Two more additions to the self-found list began with a Common Sandpiper skimming over the surface of the small reservoir, calling loudly as it did so and then, just to put me into birding heaven a, female-type, Golden Oriole flew north along the row of willows that line the west bank of the fishery. I was absolutely dumb-struck, this being my first Kent sighting since May 2006 when I found one in Ramsgate Cemetery. 


The Duncan Kay's, rod pod and alarms will now only be required when, or rather if, I cast a bait in the direction of Eels. The persistent run of chilly Easterly winds has done nothing to enthuse me to get out for an into dark session. Hopefully May will see a drastic change in wind direction and an associated rise in temperatures?

2 comments:

  1. Dyl, floating crust strikes again 🙄. Or at least the expert on the other end of it does. Using bread (low cost), I'd ring the changes the cheapskate way by dosing it with all the protein mix powders and flavouring going. If others (carp guys) are feeding the quarry with the real expensive stuff, then when the fish rocks up (along with the rocking of water around the crust) it cannot tell if the food item is less than optimal nutrition. As if they care anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ric, in this particular situation you are seriously overthinking the requirement for a baiting edge. These are the easiest Carp I've ever fished for. Probably bloody starving due to the incredible number present in this two/three acre pool. Your use of the term expert made me smile as I recall the words of Rod Hutchinson. "Ex equals the unknown quantity whilst a spurt is a drip under pressure!" Wise words indeed from a guy who certainly knew how to catch a Carp, or two.

      Delete