Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 11 April 2023

Garden watching & stuff

Not too much going on in my little world beyond the ritual of Easter "Spring Cleaning" Absolutely mind numbing the amount of pointless debris that has accumulated in my study over the past twelve months! Nobody else to blame for the build up of useless crap - it's me! Chinese take-away tubs, fat ball containers and umpteen other, equally ridiculous, plastic items which have been accrued now in the recycling bin! Exactly where they should have been placed when originally emptied? One positive, if that's possible, has to be the opportunity to keep an eye on what's happening around/over the garden whilst going about these, self inflicted, chores.

The Blue Tits have certainly been active as they've collected nest material for use in the nest box right outside my study window. Two pairs of Great Tits must also be holding territories along the adjacent gardens as they frequently appear at the feeding station and squabble noisily. It's nice to be able to report that House Sparrow numbers remain buoyant around the Newlands Farm patch and it is not unusual to see flocks in excess of thirty birds flicking around the field hedgerows or local gardens. Rose-ringed Parakeets are a constant source of entertainment at the feeders. Seventeen being the highest count, thus far, in 2023. A male Skylark continues to proclaim territorial rites above the field beyond our garden, whilst Lesser Black-backed Gull sightings are now part of the daily routine as they return to the Pyson's Road gull colony for, yet another, breeding season.

With so much activity being centred around the garden feeding station it is no surprise that the local Sparrowhawks, of which there are at least three pairs within a km radius, are also regular garden visitors. 

My self-found year list is stuck at 105 species with Red Kite, over the garden on April 4th, being my latest addition. In times gone by I'd be suicidal due to this meagre tally. Today? Doesn't matter in the slightest. I enjoy the birds that I do see and worry not a jot about those which I don't. Knowing that Bev and I will be heading off to the Eastern Mediterranean, at least, twice in 2023 what's to worry about? I'm going to encounter some superb birds, in stunning surroundings, without some saddo wielding a, long lens, camera but no bins asking "have you seen it?" 

If it's the only photo then, by definition, it has to be the best?

Still haven't made any effort to cast a bait in the direction of an Eel, although the weather forecasts do suggest more favourable conditions as the month progresses. A very short session down at the Carp puddle, on Monday, resulted in three more fish gracing the net with the best one, a Common, weighing in at 11 lbs 14 oz. The learning opportunities that this type of venue allows has meant that I'm tweaking rigs and bait presentations which I'm hopeful will provide an edge when I return to the Flatlands in June.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment