Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 13 April 2023

Enjoyment - why not?

My dalliance with Carp is certainly gathering momentum as 2023 progresses. The Wednesday afternoon forecast being for 50+ mph gales, plus accompanying rain, I knew that my window of opportunity wasn't that great. Bev had a luncheon engagement, with her mate Christine, so I headed back down to the local farm Carp puddle to waste away a few hours, safe in the knowledge that I could easily pack up and be home within twenty minutes should the weather get too out of hand!

Very much the calm before the storm. 

As it turned out I managed to get the rods out for  four and a half hours before conditions became so ridiculous that my personal safety might have been compromised had I remained on the bank? Seven Carp graced the unhooking mat, including two more doubles, so just the job. 

My bankside set-up is becoming more "Carp Clone-like" with every visit to Camo's shop. The latest acquisition being a pair of Nash butt grips, the requirement for which was due to nearly loosing a Duncan Kay rod, complete with an ABU Cardinal 66X reel, when a fish bolted off with my rig on Monday! These new items will certainly prevent a repeat performance yet, at £16 each, are another manifestation of over zealous Carp Tax! 

 Piss taking of the highest level?


I've owned a pair of these iconic reels, from new, 1975-ish.
Swedish built, they are a class above anything with origins in the Far East.

The bottom line, however, is that my angling is all about enjoying the experience of being at the waterside. That these various items of bank ware are able to assist the cause then so much the better. I pay my money and make my choices accordingly. I realise that this particular fishery isn't much of a test but, because of the regular action, it is a great place to work on various aspects of presentation and bite indication prior to using them in a more serious situation.



No comments:

Post a Comment