Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 24 April 2023

Another Pegwell stroll

Today was always going to be a little hectic so no chance to wet a line this morning. The rods are prepped, but leant up against my bookshelves, awaiting the next outing. With trips to the local pharmacy and Tesco out of the way, it was already gone mid-day before I was able to grab my camera and binos and drive down to Pegwell Bay for a wander along the seawall to Stonelees LNR. As it turned out it was a thoroughly enjoyable couple of hours before I had to drive up into Ramsgate to collect my grandson, Harry, from school. 

Two pairs of Avocets remain on the Garage Pool which bodes well for a breeding attempt it would seem? They are now so accustomed to the regular appearance of dog-walkers, birders, ramblers, cyclists and umpteen other folk, as to be reasonably approachable, thus very photogenic if you're prepared to sit and wait a while. I did exactly this and was fortunate to obtain a series of decent images, including some flight shots as the two pairs got involved in some type of territorial dispute. To top it off, an absolutely magnificent Little Egret, in full breeding attire, gave me a very close fly past as it headed towards the far end of the pool.

I got a couple more additions for the self-found year list in the form of Cuckoo and a couple of Lesser Whitethroats. A very vivid male Greenland Wheatear was on a fence post near to the seal viewing point and it was a bit of a surprise to pick out two Dark-bellied Brent Geese on the rapidly rising tide. It would seem that the Country Park is now coming to life as Chiffchaffs, Common Whitethroats, Blackcaps, Reed and Sedge Warblers proclaim their territorial rites. With good numbers of Whimbrel and Bar-tailed Godwits out on the exposed mud, there was always something to look at. A small bunch of Sandwich Terns were gathered over by the old hoverpad where a couple of noisy Mediterranean Gulls were flying about. With a number of Peacock and Small Tortoiseshell butterflies on the wing and at least seven Common Lizards, sunbathing along the wall behind the garage, there was plenty to keep me entertained. 

Back at home, there isn't much to report. On Saturday, at 13.15 hrs, the largest group of Common Buzzards of the year, thirteen birds, passed over the garden in a southerly direction much to the annoyance of our local breeding pair. I've seen a couple of Swallows and the occasional Chiffchaff whilst out in the garden but that is very much the sum of it. Running the moth trap is a futile gesture for the most part. I think the largest catch has been just seven moths! God knows what they cost in electricity usage per individual? Still, the light does allow me to watch the antics of our other nocturnal garden visitors, so all is not lost.


I'm really having fun with the camera, of late, and am hopeful that my results will continue to improve with practice. We're back off to Halkidiki, NE Greece, next month and hope to be able to record the wildlife, I encounter, with some decent images.

No comments:

Post a Comment