Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 31 March 2023

Moving forward

I had my second, short, three hour session down on the new farm irrigation pond and am yet to register a bite! I'm not at all disheartened by this situation as I realise it will be a very steep learning curve to unlock the code on this new venue. Time on the bank is never wasted as I constantly scan the fishery looking for signs which might be of assistance on another occasion? My diary pages are filled with observations of fish activity along with weather conditions and associated detail. With the whole of April being devoted to catching a Carp from this fishery I am very positive about my chances of success. 

I really think it will depend upon my Carp fishing results, knowing I require an April "double", as to how soon I begin the Eel project. I have a venue in mind, although absolutely no knowledge of an Eel ever being caught from the lake. It will be a real journey into the unknown and something I'm rather looking forward to. 

The heaviest Eel I've captured deliberately weighed 3lbs 10oz
This one went 3lbs 6oz and was also part of that crazy 2015/16 winter campaign

Not too sure if it will be possible to pass judgement upon success or failure, because all of my previous Eel fishing has been so far removed from "normal". I've done a winter campaign and my PB (7lbs 1oz) was caught whilst catching bait for a Zander session. When viewed like this, me and Eels have a very weird connection?  That I now understand that it might take an Eel a decade to put on one pound, that PB was possibly seventy years old (in 1986!). The catalyst to my current interest is twofold. One thing is the realisation that the species are "under threat" due to environmental issues - ref piss poor/criminal negligence by the water companies. The second is the reaction by a fellow "Carp" syndicate member who landed an Eel of 5lbs 10oz, yet wouldn't pick it up? Hideous disregard of the status of such a magnificent fish, sorry I meant nuisance species! I really hope that Kevin Maddocks sleeps easy knowing what he's done to the UK angling scene?

No comments:

Post a Comment