Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 28 March 2023

Signs of change

 I had my first session on the new farm irrigation pool, yesterday. An absolutely stunning location, the venue being surrounded by tall Birch and Alder trees with a sprinkling of mature Oaks at the narrow end. Apart from a couple of liners, there was nothing to report, fish wise, but the signs look good. It's all about cracking the code and I've allowed myself the next five weeks to do just that. 

Back at home, the garden continues to provide huge entertainment both day and night. The moth trap is slowly starting to show benefits of the electricity usage and the feeding stations certainly remain a focal point for the local wildlife. A very slow trickle of Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps has been observed, with odd birds stopping off for a quick snack, drink or wash and brush up at the bird bath before continuing on their journey northwards.

March Tubic - Diurnea fagella

A pair of Blue Tits appear to have staked a claim on a nest box, right outside my study window, thus allowing me to watch their comings and goings without getting my arse off my seat. It will be the first garden breeding attempt, for several years, if they hang around. 

I had three Ravens, flying west, some day last week and these are the first garden records of 2023. It was, however, a 2nd Winter Herring Gull that provided my most unexpected sighting recently. It's a plumage that can be easily seen along the coastal strip where huge numbers of these, non-breeding, gulls loaf about. One in the garden is very unusual and well worthy of a photo in my opinion. The adult pairs are already holding territories along Vine Close and the surrounding area. Still not seen a Wheatear, but as my dog walking duties have expired, I might just have to wait until the autumn?

The capture of a Carp "double" in every month of 2023 is already an ongoing project yet, somehow, Eels have really gotten to me and I'm pretty sure that their pursuit will dominate much of my angling effort during the warmer months?  Not tablets of stone, and just as likely to change if something else appears on the angling horizon but, as far as I see it, deliberate capture of Eels will be a goal as the year progresses.


2 comments:

  1. looks like birch lake to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, don't have any issues with folk knowing where I'm fishing but won't deliberately advertise the venue in case I spoil it for others?
      Hope the new job is going well? Take care & tight lines - Dyl

      Delete