Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 2 March 2023

Good times

Back down on the banks of the RMC, this morning, saw yet another "double" added to my catch list for the 2022/23 Pike season. Registering in at 11 lbs 12 oz it is the smallest one, thus far, yet no less welcome. I had a fantastic session just by being there. Firstly Chrissy & Mo, plus one of her mates, turned up and we enjoyed the usual bankside banter which has become so much part of the ritual. "A" level bollocks is actually how we describe the conversations. 

No sooner had Chrissy departed when Ian Roberts, of Folkestone Birds, arrived and another very enjoyable conversation was had. Moths, cameras, Little Egrets and twitching, we chatted about absolutely everything, and anything, it was really great - cheers Ian. He had to get away, just after 09.00 hrs, and I was then left to play around with the camera kit whilst awaiting further action on the rods. It didn't happen, yet it was just fantastic being out there today. That March "twenty" remains the target and I've got four more chances at achieving it before the 14th. It's something I've not managed in over fifty years, so another one ain't gonna make much difference should I fail in my quest this season?


If ever I need to explain why I require electronic alarms instead of floats, for bite registration, then those photos say everything required about being able to enjoy the outdoor experiences without jeopardising fish welfare. I might not be staring at a float when a Pike takes my bait, yet I can't ignore the sound of an alarm alerting me to just such an occurrence. It was a good to be alive day, that's for sure.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. As you know, only too well. "There's so much more to fishing than catching a fish!"

      Delete