Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 6 March 2023

Another box "ticked"

My quest for a March "twenty" is done and dusted. At 11.00 hrs, this morning, I achieved my target with a nice Pike of 21 lbs 2 oz visiting the unhooking mat. Not quite what I'd hoped, as it is the same fish I landed in January but, beggars can't be choosers? The session had got off to decent start with a Pike of 13 lbs 12 oz falling to a, Sardine oil boosted, Mackerel tail just before 07.00 hrs. Two leapfrogs, and four hours later, the same rod/bait combo was to deliver my sought after prize. Crazy thing is that I'd already packed the other two rods away and was just about to collapse the second landing net when the remaining alarm signalled a bite. It would seem that the Pike gods were smiling and it was meant to happen. The weather was all over the place. A beautiful, frosty, dawn complete with full moon soon developed into a wonderfully sunny morning. However, it wasn't to last for long as the clouds thickened and the rain, quite light at first, intensified and my angling experience was certainly not enjoyable at that point. Hence my decision to pack up half an hour early.

13 lbs 12 oz of Mackerel munching RMC Pike

With the goal achieved I plan to have one, final, Pike session down on the RMC before turning my attentions to other challenges. I need to say thank-you to all of the regular folk I speak with down on the banks of this magnificent waterway. What they are able to add to my sessions is beyond anything I'm capable of putting into words. It is simply a brilliant place where such random encounters allow so many different characters to exchange opinions without stigma or prejudice. For being allowed to become part of this gang I'm truly humbled. 

Well over a quarter of a mile away from where I caught it in January - job done!

What I've learned over this past six weeks means that, all being well, I will be back down on the banks of the RMC next winter to carry on my search for that elusive giant which has avoided my acquaintance thus far. This 2023 campaign has provided some superb Pike fishing with ten "doubles" which include three "twenties" gracing the landing nets. What might have I achieved if not side-tracked by that R. Stour folly?

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. BB, before I left home, at 04.15 hrs, I'd told Bev I was on a mission and was wearing a grey sweater because they're the best for "big" fish shots - grey being a perfect background colour. She was in Tesco and I had just netted the fish when I rang her with the news. I was a mess, tears in my eyes, as I recalled the events which had just unfolded. If ever angling fails to provide this level of adrenaline induced emotion, then it's time to hang up the rods? Until such time, I'm going to enjoy every moment. I don't expect many others to understand my sentiments, but you're from the same mould I think? - tight lines - Dyl

      Delete
  2. good dangling again , 👏.
    nick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick, I certainly drove home a very happy bunny!

      Delete