Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 18 March 2023

Nice surprise

Running the moth trap has been a futile gesture for the most part, just seven species recorded from eight individuals lured to the MV light. Yesterday was the first time I got more than a single visitor when both Common & Beautiful Plume, plus Common Quaker were discovered on the egg trays. The light is more useful in allowing me to watch the comings and goings from the nocturnal feeding station. Last night saw a return to form with just a single moth being discovered this morning. A Silver Y and certainly not a species I would expect at this time of year, particularly with the awful weather we've been experiencing here on Thanet.

Birds around Newlands are starting to arrive and I am pleasantly surprised by the numbers being recorded. My neighbour, Madeline, had a cataract operation recently and I've been charged with taking her dog, Mental Mylo, for exercise twice a day, if I'm able. Our circular walk, around the perimeter of the farm, has produced a flock of eighty plus "alba" Wagtails with at least seventeen White Wagtails included. A male Stonechat present for four days, double figure counts of Chiffchaffs plus a couple of Reed Buntings, a flock of Linnets and even a couple of Song Thrushes! No Wheatears, as yet, but it can only be a matter of time?  

No comments:

Post a Comment