Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 5 January 2023

Scamp patrol

I returned to the small farm pond, early doors this morning, armed with my split cane, Dick Walker Mk IV's coupled with a pair of Mitchell 300's. I'd set myself the target of landing a fish on each rod during the three hours I planned to stay. Well, there's not too much I can say beyond the fact that I'd surpassed my goal within forty-five minutes!

My tactics were simple, just sweetcorn and bacon grill for hook baits with a handful of freebies around each bait every time I recast. Twice I had bites on both rods simultaneously, such was the hectic nature of the session. 


The typical stamp of fish in the pond

The largest fish weighed little more than seven pounds, but it didn't matter a jot. I'd gone there in the hope of bending a fishing rod and it was mission accomplished. Please don't think that I've done anything special, these carp are a ravenous hoard and a proficient match/pleasure angler would have bagged up, big time, given the conditions. 

Bite indication - 1980's style

I'm unsure if I'll return, any time soon, but if the river remains a filthy swollen mess there is an alternative venue, much closer to home, where I could have another scamping session but with the chance of some slightly larger fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment