Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 2 January 2023

Incredible

I had a couple of hours wandering around Pegwell Bay NNR, this morning, purely to add to my abysmal list from yesterday. It was really enjoyable and, because I went early, not too busy with other folk using the country park for their own, totally legitimate, pleasures. My 2023 self-found, bird, total now stands at 59 species, which is much more respectable. The real surprise, however, was the ridiculous number of Common Seals hauled out around the mouth of The Stour. I counted a total of one hundred and ninety-two! I used my scope, so am very happy that my figures are reasonably accurate. There were one hundred and five visible from the bird hide and another eighty-seven viewable from the traditional spot behind the old Pfizer sports ground.

As I don't get down to the site on a regular basis this number of seals might now be quite normal? It's certainly, by far and away, the most I've ever seen hauled out - anywhere!


No comments:

Post a Comment