Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 12 April 2016

At last!

Another stroll around Newland's Farm, early doors, was rather a struggle. There were a few decked Song Thrushes and an odd flurry of Meadow Pipits overhead, but not quite what I'd expected after the apparently perfect overnight conditions. Surely a Ring Ouzel or Willow Warbler was on the cards? Zilch ! Standing in the garden, later in the morning, I could hear a Blackcap singing from a garden further south and a slight reaction from the gulls revealed a Sparrowhawk, flying deliberately northwards - so probably a migrant.
It wasn't until I made my way across to work (13.30 hrs) that anything happened. Two male Wheatears were flitting around, one by the Scaffolder's Yard, the other by The Old Rose Garden - both posing beautifully, thus taking the piss as I didn't have my camera gear! As I approached the end of the footpath, directly opposite Bookers, the gulls went up as a superb adult Red Kite flew over, headed south-west. After these encounters work was a doddle!

Unable to record an image this afternoon - this one from 2010 will have to suffice! They really are splendid little birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment