Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 11 January 2014

Those that can - do! Those that can't - teach!

It would seem that the "Ramsgate Warbler" has caused a few ripples of discontent amidst the local birding fraternity? I am not party to, or particularly bothered by, the content of the opinions voiced in this particular forum. I do, however, find it incredible that so many school teachers are drawn to birding. The hierarchy of so many Ornithological Societies are made up of teachers (or ex/retired school teachers) guys who are unable to be told anything. Not particularly surprising as they have spent their entire professional careers telling kids what to do/learn - so being told something is completely alien to their world.
The desire to see a Hume's Leaf Warbler is obviously more important than identifying one? Take a look at the latest article on the Birdguides webzine (http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=4162) - a Cattle Egret (not) that had been present on Sheppey since Oct 2013. Just because it is reported by the various info dissemination centres doesn't mean that the id is beyond doubt. Quite how many birders ticked Cattle Egret, based upon the info provided by RBA ?
The beauty of being an individual is that I'm able to play the game according to my own rules- judge, jury and executioner. Absolutely nothing, I have experienced since 2nd Jan 2014, has changed my opinion that the bird in Ramsgate Cemetery is anything other than a Yellow-browed Warbler. There are others, some of whom I have the utmost respect, who are convinced that this bird is a Hume's. I ain't going to war over something so ridiculous as the perceived interpretation of a call. If I grow older, and wiser, and discover that Hume's Leaf Warblers are capable of a perfect mimic of Yellow-browed, during a late autumn/winter moult period, then I will be perfectly happy to adapt my opinions.
Until then, however, I will stand by my post - Yellow - browed in Ramsgate Cemetery.

4 comments:

  1. I'd email you privately, but I don't seem to have your address Dylan, but I found your stereotypical jaundiced view on teachers disappointing - not a problem, just unpleasant. However, as one of the few teachers on the KOS Exec. committee - for a long time I was only one out of 14 (latterly 2 & briefly 3) - I found it personally insulting. I'm sure it wasn't meant to be so, but frankly that's how it feels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John,
    I can't say that any offence was directed towards you, or the KOS for that matter. My blog is simply a vehicle by which I am able to express an opinion, however different to the mainstream, without entering into the messy world of open forums. (From where I've received a fair bit of flack recently!)
    As I have already stated - my blog, my opinions! What should also be clear is that there is no mandatory requirement for anyone to bother reading it. As for wasting emotions on the thoughts of a malcontent - surely you're more mature than that? - Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you had your hearing tested recently Dylan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Tony, as a forklift operator Fujifilm SIS insist that we have medical check-ups on an annual basis. My hearing and eyesight (plus blood-pressure, etc) are monitored and compared with my previous results. As yet, no noticeable deterioration has been detected. But thanks for asking!

      Delete