Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 9 January 2014

Game over?

Back to the cemetery for another hour, or so, just to attempt to get to grips with the true id of the "Ramsgate Warbler". Luckily, I heard the bird call on several occasions - usually quite distant, but one bout of four repeated calls allowed me a quick glimpse through my binoculars before it flitted off behind the Chapel.
I have to conclude that the bird is definitely a Yellow-browed Warbler. The structure and quality of the piercing call being one that I know well from many autumn encounters with this species.
Fortunately, Phil B turned up and has managed to get a video sound recording of the bird calling this morning - using his i-phone. He is taking it down to Dungeness, in the next couple of days, to let Dave Walker have a listen; so as to compare it with the Hume's that is present around the Trapping Area. To me it's a no-brainer. That the call is able to carry for well over 100m in windy conditions speaks for itself - it is not a subdued, disyllabic, "du-weet" or anything close!
I agree, whole-heartedly, with the consensus that this is a very drab individual and shows many characteristics associated with Hume's - just the call let's it down.  So Yellow-browed for me - 100%!

No comments:

Post a Comment