Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 15 July 2013

A weekend family gathering.

On Saturday afternoon the family, along with friends, colleagues and former pupils, assembled in the tiny church of St. John the Evangelist, Bourne End, HERTS. to hold a memorial service for mum. It wasn't a sombre occasion, just a celebration of her life and a chance to remember her influence in the town that she and dad had called home for nearly 40 years.


 
It was conducted by a family friend, Steven Fletcher, who is a "reader - in training" so something that mum would have very much approved. Rosie Sanghera gave a nice insight into the early days at St. Faith's - the school that she had co-founded along with dad, her sister Betty and niece Jacqui. It was a nice tribute in a wonderful setting - many thanks to all who made the effort to attend. That Emma Ainsley had, once again, offered herself to play the organ is a fitting endorsement to the part that St. Faith's has played in shaping the fortunes of so many of its' former pupils. There is a school reunion in October - I might be tempted to attend, it's been a long time since I've been called "sir"


Bev and I stayed with Sye and Yve, in Aston Clinton, enjoying a very pleasant evening barbecue in their garden. Red Kites are a regular sight as they sweep over the village searching the gardens for scraps. Common Buzzards and Sparrowhawks were also noted as I kept the camera close to hand. Butterflies were very obvious, in comparison to our Kent garden, with Ringlet, Marbled White, Meadow Brown and Small Skipper all being firsts for me this year.




On Sunday morning, we took a slow stroll along the Wendover Arm of the GUC where more of the same were recorded. Emperor and Brown Hawker dragonflies were added to the list, whilst woodland birds included Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Nuthatch and Coal Tit.


I managed to get a shot of a Large Red Damselfly, for the first time, when I found one in path side rushes. Further investigation revealed several individuals to be present. If I'd had more time then I'm sure I would have been able to improve on my efforts, but we had a luncheon engagement in the White Horse at Bourne End, so I had to cut my visit short in order to arrive on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment