Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 3 February 2013

Tom nails a beauty

I endured a gruelling five hours on a freezing Royal Military Canal for one very lively "jack" of around 5lbs - which took a liking to my 1/2 mackerel. I had a very nice chat with a dog-walker who lived locally and did a "bit of fishing" now and again. He told me of a couple of other spots which might be worth exploring; all useful information as I'm struggling for bites at the moment.
Benno and Tom headed off to an "un-disclosed Southern still-water" where Tom landed his second pike over 20lbs. At 20lbs 14oz, it is absolutely immaculate - how I wish I'd been there to see it for myself. He said that he thought he'd hooked a catfish when it started taking line against a 3 1/2 lbs T.C. rod and a clamped down clutch.
A beautiful pike - shame about the ugly twat holding it! I thought it was Chris Packham.
Well done old mate - a bloody cracker.
Benno is having a bit of a crisis - he has lost confidence in the Partridge hooks that he is using - he dropped another two fish today. My own theory is that they are small fish and the action of striking actually turns the fish with no resistance to set the hooks. A shake of the head and the bait (complete with attached hooks) is thrown clear. I am happy to report that I don't have any such issues with my Drennan doubles - they stay in when I've tightened down; using my very soft rods might also play a part in this?

No comments:

Post a Comment