Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 23 September 2024

Day five - absolutely nothing to moan about

Bev's recuperation seems to be headed in a positive direction, thus, she was able to spend another seven hours beside the pool today. The cloud cover built steadily around mid-morning yet had completely burnt off in the early afternoon and it was "el scorchio". We called it a day around 16.00 hrs, not wishing to push our luck. However, I had enjoyed  fabulous morning up on the high ground and had been privileged to witness some hirundine migration on a mammoth scale. In little more than forty minutes I had seen 5,000 House Martins, 2,000 Swallows and 700 Sand Martins moving deliberately southwards. Obviously these aren't accurate counts as opposed to rough guestimates. Either which way, it was bloody spectacular to witness. The crazy thing is that I only managed to pick out a solitary Red-rumped Swallow, from within this melee, and not a single Crag Martin or Swift sp! I've recorded Bee-eaters on every day, thus far, and this morning produced a noisy flock of forty plus birds high overhead, moving leisurely southwards.

The purpose for me trekking back up onto the high ground was in the hope of seeing some more raptor migration. The weather had other ideas, yet I still managed to see another fifteen Honey Buzzards and a Hobby for my efforts. Other birds included a Cuckoo and a Magpie, both trip ticks, so very welcome.under the circumstances. 

It wasn't until I'd made it back to the Irene complex when anything else occurred. There were a pair of Peregrines cavorting about high above the pool. I rattled off a few shots in the hope that I'd capture something worthy of blogging?


 

2 comments:

  1. Great reports Dyl. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ric, I certainly hope to be able to make daily posts whilst we're out here. However, the local internet provision is "temperamental", to say the least, and I will have to go with the flow. I've got to say that I'm having a great time exploring this rugged landscape and pointing the camera at anything which is prepared to pose for the long lens. - Dyl

      Delete