Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 7 September 2023

Meagre returns

 Down here, on the Isle of Thanet, it is absolutely "scorchio" with daytime temps in the mid 20's C and remaining well into the mid-teens overnight. The prevailing wind direction is from the East, or South-east, thus coming straight in off the European mainland. Absolutely bang on for moth migration, or so I thought?  The reality has been rather disappointing if I'm honest. Sure there have been reasonable numbers of the expected culprits, yet not the slightest hint of anything more exciting. I've not seen, let alone trapped, a Convolvulus Hawk-moth these past two nights, so all very strange?

Clancy's Rustic

The odd Silver Y is discovered alongside a sparce selection of Small Mottled Willow (2), Dark Sword-grass, Pearly Underwing and Rusty-dot Pearls. Not one record of The Vestal, in 2023, and the Bordered Straw gang are conspicuous by their absence. What's going on? Ridiculous numbers of the resident species are typified by regular three figure counts of Setaceous Hebrew Character, Common Wainscot and Box Tree Moths. Other nice discoveries have included multiple Large Thorns, Beautiful Hook-tip, Sharp-angled Peacock and a, stunning, Lilac Beauty.

Lilac Beauty - how I wish I'd spent a little more time attempting to record a decent image.

The only exceptions to the lack of immigrant species have been provided by Clancy's Rustic and The Delicate. Seven Clancy's and thirteen Delicates being the best counts over these past three nights. Obviously, with the weather being as it is, there is no knowing what might turn up such is the fun of running a garden moth trap.

The Delicate - a moth which was such a part of my
journey into the after-dark art. 

Daylight hours are proving to be equally unproductive, with just a handful of Common Buzzards providing any interest. However, as I was examining the contents of the Robinson Trap, this morning, a Grey Plover called several times as it moved south over the Newlands Farm patch. Just to finish off, the lack of moth activity hasn't meant that I've had nothing to point the camera at during the hours of darkness. A young Fox has started to come to the feeding station, although very timid at present, the Hedgehogs are absolutely fearless and always put on a show.

And there I was thinking that Hedgehogs actually ate slugs?

No comments:

Post a Comment