Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 22 September 2023

Birding beckons

 In a couple of days Bev and I are headed off to Corfu for a, well earned, break. Our holiday requirements are the same today, as they've always been. Bev needs a pool, a good book and sunshine, whilst I desire little more than some countryside to explore. Bev's number one accessory is factor 30 sun cream, all I want is my binoculars and camera kit, plus a tube of "After Bite" in case of getting bitten, or stung, by the invertebrate hoards which inhabit the Greek islands. Holidays are now the only time, in any given year, when birding becomes my central interest and I really enjoy myself because of this fact. I see what I see and have no chance of being "gripped off" because the simple reality that there are no other folk looking. I am at leisure to do things my way and those species I don't encounter can't be an issue.

Short-toed Eagle 
I was all alone on a track in Kefalonia when this magnificent bird flew over my position.
It's the scenario which I now crave. Me, the birds and see what happens.

We're going back to Agios Gordios, a place we first visited in 2004 (?) and somewhere I have enjoyed some incredible birding experiences over the years. We last visited in June 2022, when we spent a week at The Irene Apartments. We're going back again, this time for a fortnight, and our bungalow will be providing a base for my nephew, Jake, and his partner, Jodie. They're both golf mad and are looking forward to having a stroll, interrupted by golf balls, around some of the courses local to Thanet. They don't like beaches and marriage is for "old farts" apparently? "So, Uncle Dyl, don't bother asking"


The two Scarce Bordered Straws from last night's catch

Tonight will be the last time I run the moth trap, until our return, and it will be rather strange not needing to creep out of bed, in order to switch off the light and store the trap, in the half-light of pre-dawn whilst we're away. The weather is certainly on the turn and this morning's catch probably didn't exceed one hundred moths in total. However, included in the mix were two Scarce Bordered Straws, two Clancy's Rustic, single Delicate, Pearly Underwing and Convolvulus Hawk-moth (No. 24). So not too shabby under the circumstances. 

Convolvulus Hawk-moth - No. 24 of autumn 2023

I am hopeful that, via the use of Bev's I-pad, my blog will be up-dated every day whilst we're away, much as I'd managed in May out in Pefkohori. What won't be possible, purely due to my technological incompetence, is the provision of images to accompany these holiday offerings. Still, it is because of this inability on my part that, my blogging about the holiday will extend well into October, all things being equal?

4 comments:

  1. Ah Agios Gordios, I had a fantastic holiday there, it's a great place. Strangely, despite being a birdwatcher most of my life and enjoying holidays in the Greek Islands, the Spanish Islands and the Caribbean, I have never birdwatched on any of them. Those holdays were always spent laying on a hot beach, reading a book and drinking a lot of rum and coke - sad I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Derek, so great to hear from you - it's been quite a while! As individuals we all have a choice to make and, as such, there is no way I could visit somewhere new and not see what birding/natural history encounters are on offer. That you follow Bev's logic is perfectly okay, just not for me thank-you very much.
      Hoping all is well with you - take care and all the best - Dyl

      Delete
  2. Think we stayed up the road a bit. Loved Corfu, hated driving there though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BB, so sorry for the delay in my reply, the Greek internet played havoc with my blogging abilities. Yes the island of Corfu is a beautiful place but, just like you, driving isn't much fun. I don't like driving in England, these days, and we have road markings and a highway code. The Greeks don't seem to have any of these niceties with their system. Hoping all is well with you and yours? All the best - Dylan

      Delete