Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 19 September 2023

After the Lord Mayor's show

 After the excitement of Friday/Saturday, last week, it is really no great surprise that it's all gone a little flat in the aftermath. I got back down to Sandwich Coarse Fishery, on Sunday afternoon, and blanked for only the second time in over six weeks. Likewise, the moth trap hasn't been particularly productive, but then again I have set a very high bar!  


My grand-daughter Emily with my 23rd Convolvulus Hawk-moth of the autumn.
I have no idea how many of these fabulous moths have actually visited my garden, but do
know that the hedgehogs have taken at least another three!

There has been some superb, recent, blogging by Steve Gale, Gavin Haig and Ian Roberts pertaining to their own mothing exploits and I would recommend that anyone who hasn't seen these guys offerings do so via the links (just click the highlighted name - it will take you straight to the relevant blog). Steve and Gavin have been cyber buddies for many years now, whilst Ian and I do bump into each other on odd occasions when I'm fishing down on the Royal Military Canal. Either way, we share a broad spectrum of similar views about our involvement with the natural world which surrounds us. It is no surprise, therefore, that I am able to draw great inspiration from the writings of these guys. 




You know that Autumn is here when the Sallow clan turn up.
Top - Orange Sallow, Middle - Centre-barred Sallow, Bottom - Barred Sallow

It is quite incredible how our mothing highlights occur at similar periods, thus quite obviously weather related, whilst the species involved remain a very weird mish-mash dependent entirely on geographical location and associated habitat. Gavin is the new kid on the block, in a moth sense, and his enthusiasm is infectious. His ability to use the written word to convey the sheer adrenaline rush of an exciting discovery is something which I, sadly, cannot replicate. Steve is the senior partner in the mix and his last two posts have resonated within my own experience with incredible accuracy. His well documented moth journey places him in a position where his opinions are based upon experience and, therefore, should be given the utmost respect. Because Ian's blog offerings are a compilation of records received from various sources, within a large catchment area, I simply use the info to get a heads up on what might be turning up around Thanet, if I haven't already recorded one? The other positive from my contacts with Ian is that I have a handy second opinion/confirmation of any moth id's that are causing me problems.

Rosy-striped Knot-horn

Olive-tree Pearl - only a handful of records this year, so very welcome.

There was a time when it really mattered what I saw and keeping accurate data was a key part of my involvement. Today? It doesn't matter a toss. I am happy to look and be entertained, not obsessed, by the creatures attracted by the 125w MV light. As individuals we all have the ability to choose the path which best suits our outlook mine, is now, very much that of the casual observer.

2 comments:

  1. Many thanks for the kind words, Dyl. Your mothing exploits are a constant source of interest to me. 400+ Box-tree Moths made my eyebrows go up a bit! 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gav, as I said in the post, your enthusiasm is infectious and certainly a much needed kick up the arse for me. As for the crazy situation with Box-tree Moths; on that particular morning they were strewn like ticker-tape around the trap and surrounding area. I made the effort to record them, via the use of a head torch and got a total of 276. When I checked the egg trays, later, there were another 127 inside the trap, hence my total. Interestingly, I would estimate that around 5% of them were the melanistic form.
      Hoping all is well with you and yours, all the best - Dyl

      Delete