Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Saturday 20 February 2021

The NHS - a national treasure

 I had my first "jab" this morning at the Grange Medical facility and what a superb experience it was. I had been given the very precise time of 08.24 hrs, but turned up with fifteen minutes to spare just in case of queues and the like. Are you kidding? After parking the van, I could see a line of, mask wearing, folk just inside the perimeter fence. I walked through the gate to join the end of the queue only to have a young lady call across "are you here to register or vaccinate?"

"I'm here to get my jab" says I

"Over here then please, Sir" - " Okay to use hand sanitizer?"

"No worries, but my appointment isn't until 08.24 hrs!"

"Don't worry about that. How I love this job, I can be so bossy - go over to the desk where Debbie will take your details"

I walked to the booth where Debbie quickly established that I was who I said I was. I had just finished quoting my date of birth when a nurse appeared "Next!"

That was it, I was in and being read the script about the Oxford - Astra Zeneca vaccine and possible side effects. "Roll up your sleeve and relax your arm" 

"Sorry, I'm not very good when needles are involved - I can't look"

"Done!"

I didn't feel a bloody thing and was sent on my way within minutes of my arrival. What an unbelievable display by the NHS staff. If only that rabble at the "track & trace" had been so efficient/professional? But what can you expect when an Olympic Showjumper and a security company are handed those lucrative contracts instead of the qualified professionals. Political corruption? Surely not.

9 comments:

  1. Good man! Congratulations, mate. Definitely something to celebrate. And with spring around the corner, too. Although I never thought you were a day over 39! My parents got it the other day (they're 66 and 69). I'm 43 in May, so I'm in the safe(r) category. They did say something about teachers getting it earlier. I don't know what to think about that. I'm happy to wait, given that the impact is so much more serious for every year after 50. I think they're way they're doing it, based on age and vulnerable groups, is good. It really is a pig of a disease. Thank God for these vaccines...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teachers getting the jab? If you'd have joined the military, then the possibility of death, whilst engaged in your work, isn't an unrealistic consideration when taking "the King's shilling" For a teacher, or nurse, to now find themselves on the frontline, in a battle with a deadly foe, is exactly why the vaccine should be part of the deal. You are a teacher because you hope to educate and inspire the future generations, not die because "getting schools open" is more important than the health, and wellbeing, of the staff. The kids that you teach might not be under threat of Covid-19 but their ability to transmit the disease is without question. Why should teachers put themselves in such precarious territory when a "jab" can considerably reduce the danger? Hoping to get back out on RG this week, carp and/or tench being the targets - I'll email you about how I get on - Dyl

      Delete
  2. I can understand the government being serious about getting children back to school as soon as possible, but where I do find the argument falls down is the fact that after just four weeks they pack up again for an Easter holiday. After the amount of time that education has been closed down, do they really need a holiday that soon, could it not be scrapped this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, now Derek - can't cancel Easter and upset the God Squad. Whatever were you thinking?

      Delete
  3. Well said indeed, Dyl. Glad you had your jabe, had mine last week. I retired from teaching seven years ago but everything you say is relevant. Keep safe, mate, get out fishing ASAP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norman,
      Wonderful to hear from you, it's been a very long time mate! Having grown up with both my parents being teachers, I have a slightly different view of the profession than many others. Can't say that I actually enjoyed my time at school, whilst I was there but, looking back, there were a few individuals who were able to inspire learning rather than "going through the motions". Now having grand-children I am much more aware of the incredible job being done by the profession, under incredible pressure, and appreciate how dedicated they are to ensuring the very best life opportunities for the pupils crossing their paths.
      Trust that all is well in the McCanch world? Take care & stay safe - Dyl

      Delete
    2. Hi Dyl,
      I knew your folks were teachers, your dad was a proper gentleman. I was an indifferent student at school, but ended up teaching for the last 15 years of my career. It was great working with kids, but I was not too keen on the meaningless paperwork and pompous management. Familiar theme?!! I was ready to retire just before I was sixty, and have enjoyed retirement immensely. A bit difficult at present as I am in need of a double hip replacement and my mobility is a bit poor, but plenty to see and do round the garden!! Still painting a bit and hope to get out a bit more soon. Keep fishing, i get a lot of pleasure out of reading your blog!! Best wishes
      Norman

      Delete
    3. Sorry to learn about your mobility issues and can only wish you well with getting a medical solution during these very testing times for the NHS. Good to hear that you're still painting, I've one of yours, depicting a cock pheasant atop a wooden fence rail, hanging proudly on the wall in my study and your "A Lighthouse Notebook" is still a regular choice of bedtime reading. Thanks for the kind words about the blog and glad that you enjoy it. Fingers crossed that you're soon back up and about - Dyl

      Delete
    4. Thanks Dyl! I remember your Dad buying that picture at a show I did with John hollyer. Very glad it has a good home! I am sure the NHS will sort meo ut as soon as circumstances allow, there are lots of people out there worse off than me!! Take care of yourself, retirement is well wotrh the wait!!

      Delete