Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Sunday 29 October 2017

A better day

I returned to the club fishery for an afternoon session, hoping to continue with my fine tuning of the luncheon meat rig. The nonsensical fiddling with clocks, meant that everything was an hour out of kilter and the sun set 16.34 hrs as a result. I was in my chosen swim by 14.00 hrs; two baits in the water within a few minutes. I had just over three hours to play around with my bait presentation and make whatever alterations I felt necessary.

Bure Boy and Jono would have done far more justice to this spectacular scene. I simply pointed and pressed the shutter!
Yesterday evening had provided a magnificent farewell to  BST.  Looking out, over Newlands Farm, from our kitchen doorway, was a superb experience as the sky darkened via a series of orange, red and gold vistas. Bev and I didn't rouse until after 10.00 hrs (old money!) thus 09.00 hrs in this new time zone. A lazy Sunday was all that had been planned, so I was happy to go along with that gig. I knew that Benno was hoping to fish at Sandwich Coarse Fishery, but wasn't convinced that is where I wanted to be; so much unfinished business at the club fishery. As it turned out the commercial was "rammo" and I headed around to the club fishery to discover one other angler present - RESULT!


Setting up in a familiar swim, I was fishing within a few minutes. My right hand rod registered a few occurrences, yet it was the left hander, with the luncheon meat rig, which provided the fun. It's not too surprising that a puddle full of scamps was able to deliver some action despite the very obvious change in conditions. I'd already missed a few "screamers" before tweaking the presentation to include a tiny section of tubing, thus producing a "blow-back style" rig.  It worked a treat and resulted in a few fish ending up in the landing net. Just as darkness was falling, my final bite was to see me land a small perch, the first I've ever taken using luncheon meat (SPAM). Pleased with the outcome, I headed home knowing that I'll be back very soon - on "earlies" next week so afternoons look favourite for another session.

2 comments:

  1. Blow back rig? I am afraId I just stick it on the hook. But then I am a luddite......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BB - I love playing with rig mechanics and bait presentation but have to agree that there is an awful lot to be said for simply sticking your bait directly on the hook!

      Delete