Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Monday 27 March 2017

Time to fire her up again?

The last time I made any serious attempt at recording the moths that share my space was when Bev and I were staying at Dad's during his final few weeks of June/August 2016. My 125w MV "Robinson Trap" has lain dormant since - nuff sed! It was August 1994 when I first became interested in these night flying denizens and deliberately went about catching them, Benno close at hand - it has it's origins as his school project after all!

Roger Smith and I manufactured this contraption whilst I worked at Ashford - Batchelor's Cuppa Soup factory.
It has seen some some sensational visitors over the years.
Being part of a rather tight knit group of, like-minded, bloggers, it was inevitable that moths would start to feature as the Spring exerted its' influence on our natural history. Checking the egg boxes this morning revealed a small catch of moths, none of which were unexpected. There were 6 Common Quaker, 2 Early Grey, 1 Hebrew Character and a Herald, so a double figure catch on the first night!





I'll be keeping an eye on the weather before I decide to run it again - cold N/E winds aren't the most conducive for producing decent catches.

4 comments:

  1. Winds are due to go round to the south later tomorrow Dyl. Should mean an inward rush of migrant birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything will be better than this E - N/E dominated run which seems to be good for nothing at this time of year. High pressure and easterlies are probably the worst possible combination for carp fishing, although I will concede that a lack of ability will also have a contribution to my run of dry nets! Hoping all is well? - Dyl

      Delete
  2. The sheer quantity and variety of moths amazes me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not a group which endears themselves to everyone, but they are fascinating creatures and, as you quite rightly point out, the diversity of species which visit urban - sub-urban gardens over the course of a year is staggering. Well worth any effort. even down to checking around the porch light.
      Take care & tight lines - Dylan

      Delete