Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 29 July 2016

Stop pissing about - fire up the 125w MV!

I had a nice comment from "Chiddy", yesterday, concerning the micro moth id of those species which had been attracted to the porch light. As he is just starting to explore the hobby, everything is exciting as new species are discovered on an almost daily basis - happy days, I remember them with much fondness. Sadly, I have lost my enthusiasm and come to the conclusion that this particular aspect of, garden based, mothing, can (over time - I began in 1994) become a very predictable, thus tiresome, exercise. Obviously there are times of, undoubted, adrenaline filled excitement when mass insect migration is a phenomenon that is hard to comprehend - I've been lucky to have experienced many over the past 22 years. Bev and I were stood in the garden, awaiting the orbiting Space Station, when our first Convolvulus Hawk-moth smashed into the side of the trap.

My home made Robinson's trap. It is over 20 years old, yet still has the capability to deliver
the goods and, whatever the outcome, it has to be better than checking the walls around
the porch lights?
Mothing has always been most exciting when it is in a new venue - France, Menorca, Ramsgate? It is the exploration of the unknown that is key. I called in at home and collected the 125w MV kit - I'll be firing the "old girl" up, as dusk falls, just a few hundred yards south of that original site of 1994. Let's see what tonight brings?

No comments:

Post a Comment