Who am I?

My photo
An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Tuesday 8 November 2016

Strange events around Newlands

Having passed comment upon the end of local autumnal birding I was rather taken by surprise, this morning, when my early morning cuppa was enjoyed whilst watching a steady trickle of winter thrushes passing inland, high, over the "patch". My observations were mostly of "continental" Blackbirds (all dark bills) with a smattering of Fieldfare and a handful of Redwing for good measure. Just to put the icing on the cake, a lone Lapwing - a very good bird here - was followed by a flock (?) of seven! What's going on? I did my best with the camera, in the dingy gloom that passed for early morning, to grab a few record shots, but that was it.



I'd just started to prepare my lunch, prior to leaving for work, when I discovered a small beetle-type insect wandering along the window sill in the kitchen. My best guess is that it's an example of Corizus hyoscyami (a Squash Bug). Quite what it was doing in the kitchen, in November, is a mystery, but a very pleasant encounter all the same - needless to say, it was a new species for my Kent pan-list (ha ha!)

Whatever its' called - a smart, little, insect to be crawling around the kitchen!

2 comments:

  1. Always knew that you were a closet pan-lister Dyl... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll treat that remark with the contempt it deserves?

      Delete