Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 18 September 2014

Back to normality?

Bev's health has improved greatly and we were both able to return to our respective employment today. I headed out across Newland's Farm, just after 05.30hrs - a few Robins "ticking" away in the gardens and hedgerows as I passed. Somewhere out in the gloom a Golden Plover called - the eastern horizon already brightening, the clear skies providing the signs that it would be another very pleasant day.
It wasn't until 08.00hrs that I made it outside - the digital ink manufacturing facility has no windows! It was a beautiful morning and, during my ten minute break, it was obvious that Meadow Pipits were passing overhead in dribs and drabs.

From the garden - late afternoon
As much as my boss is a top bloke - I'd be taking the piss
if I carried my camera gear with me whilst I was cleaning the yard
I had a right result, when my boss asked if I would tidy up the yard racking and give the perimeter a sweep - are you kidding? A cleaner on my wages! I'll have as much of this as is available - so I was outside for the most productive, raptor wise, part of the day. A Sparrowhawk and two Common Buzzards provided the entertainment whilst I was about my tasks but, try as I might, I couldn't hang it out any longer and was back inside the factory at 12.15hrs; who knows what I missed between then and 14.00hrs?
On my homeward walk, three Whinchats were discovered around the fence of the Scaffolder's Yard and a lone Wheatear was out on the potato stubble. As I had things to do; I didn't check some of the more productive areas - I feel sure that there was other stuff to be found.

Looking rather "round-winged" - the two Kestrels didn't flap once as they passed
over Vine Close. Not surprisingly my initial thought was two Sprawks until I got on them with the binos!
Two juvenile Kestrels spiralled over Vine Close around 15.00 hrs and, almost an hour later, a Common Buzzard flying steadily east caused a bit of a reaction from the local gulls. To be fair, the gulls were rather agitated for most of the afternoon but, being head down - arse up in my study isn't the best way to observe bird of prey movement above the fields of Newland's Farm. Yet, as it happens, it's been a rather good week thus far - in a funny sort of way!

No comments:

Post a Comment