Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Thursday 13 July 2023

That's not a moth!

 It was a tad breezy last night, here on Thanet, and as a consequence the 125w MV didn't hold as many moths as it has done on previous days. The most obvious effect of the wind is the huge reduction in micro moth numbers. Each morning sees the same old routine, collecting pots and camera close to hand, I examine the egg trays to see what's been attracted, taking the odd photo if something is of interest. I make no effort to record what is seen or how many. The whole experience is based upon curiosity and the hope that something unusual will turn up. I do make an exception for the Hawk-moths, and keep monthly totals of those which are trapped. Now there is a slight variance here, as the local Hedgehogs certainly take their toll on moths which, having been attracted, don't actually go into the Robinson Trap but, instead, land on the grass outside my wire barrier. Last night was particularly bad as one each of Privet, Eyed and Elephant Hawks fell foul to these spiny garden visitors. Their discarded wings being the only sign left on the lawn. Most of the usual suspects were present, as well as the first Delicate for a while, The Herald, Dun-bar, Clancy's Rustic (3) and a couple which require further effort to ascertain an id. The most intriguing insect of the morning was discovered on the second to last egg tray. My best guess is that it belongs in the Stilt/Assassin/Damsel Bug group, although I could easily be way off the mark?

I downloaded this image from "flea-bay"
It's in much better condition than my battered copy!

It was a wonderful discovery and, although not brilliant, my photos show just how amazing it was. The only reference book I own, pertaining to such creatures, is a 1993 copy of Collins Pocket Guide - Insects of Britain & Western Europe. Obviously I now have access to many other reference sources, courtesy of the internet, but when you haven't a clue where to start, it's not particularly helpful! 


I am very grateful for the input of Brizey (aka Brian Harper) for giving me
a definitive id for this wonderful creature.
  Miridius quadrivirgatus - no English alternative available?

I'm very happy to continue looking at such creatures, without any great desire to "need to know" what it's called. Even without a name, I've still spent time looking at it and marvelling at the crazy structure and patternation of this individual. Not for one minute do I think that it is anything particularly unusual, just another manifestation of .local fauna being completely overlooked because of sheer ignorance on my part.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dylan,
    Only if curiosity gets the better of you.
    https://www.britishbugs.org.uk/heteroptera/Miridae/miridius_quadrivirgatus.html

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian,
      You're an absolute star, thank you! As I said to Ian, when asking for help with some Knot-horn id's, I'll be doing some Carp fishing down on the RMC, Seabrook area, during August and it would be great to have a catch up.
      All the very best - Dylan

      Delete