Who am I?

An individual, of no great importance, who is unable to see the natural world as a place for competition. I catch fish, watch birds, derive immense pleasure from simply looking at butterflies, moths, bumble-bees, etc - without the need for rules! I am Dylan and this is my blog - if my opinions offend? Don't bother logging on again - simple!

Followers

Friday 7 July 2023

Med Gulls

Three weeks into the new season and I've yet to have a serious session out on the flatlands. Whilst Bev was enjoying her new exercise regime, this morning, down in the pool at the Ramsgate Sports Centre, I took a drive across to the marsh to have a look at a couple of areas where I might just be able to spend a bit of time, without interference or competition? Not too much to get excited about, there was one spot which looks to be worth further investigation. I might give it a go next week, weather permitting. The main feature of my wanderings was the number of Mediterranean Gulls feeding on an ant hatch (?) across the marshes. It didn't matter what direction I pointed my binoculars, there were good numbers of these stunning "white-winged" gulls hawking over the adjacent farmland. I made no effort to record an accurate count, but there were certainly a couple of hundred present. 


I got a bit side-tracked attempting to sift through the birds to spot the various age groups on view. Adults were clearly in the majority, but first and second summer birds were also numerous.. Other bits noted whilst on my walk included loads of Norfolk Hawkers, but included my first Brown Hawker of the year plus my first Marbled White and Essex Skipper butterflies of 2023. Just a handful of Swallows were seen, but the drains, dykes and ditches were alive with Sedge and Reed Warblers suggesting that they, at least, have had a very successful breeding season, thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment